We all know that to be successful with our community leadership goals, we need to communicate effectively with the people we hope to influence or engage. When it comes to skillfully orchestrating the right messages, in the right media... that is easier said than done!
This half day workshop will touch on the essentials of communications planning, namely:
- Identifying your key audiences and what messages they need to receive;
- Using social media and mainstream media channels in a coordinated campaign;
- Developing a consistent brand that supports your goals;
After this session, participants will be able to:
- Outline the different parts of a communication strategy that will help them (or their organization) reach out to key audiences to support their goals;
- Create a simple 30-day communication plan for your organization or initiative;
- Identify basic branding ingredients to ensure your communications are effective and consistent.
The workshop will combine a guided exploration of communications strategy with some hands-on planning work. Come prepared to develop a basic communications plan for something you're working on in the coming year.
About the Facilitators
Susan Low is the Executive Director of Leadership Victoria Society. She oversees the communication and marketing for Leadership Victoria, with lots of help. Susan has an Master's in Business Administration and a Bachelor's in English and Professional Writing. She loves the Oxford comma, Post-it Notes, and having things be expressed in very visual ways.
Shannon Whissell is the principal at SCW Ink Communications, and a board director with Leadership Victoria Society. She has worked in both communication and fund development for a variety of community organizations, and spent five months in Kingston, Jamaica as a Marketing, Communications & Brand Advisor for CUSO International.
Please note that this workshop runs 3 hours with a 15-minute coffee break. Lunch will not be provided - please bring a packed lunch. Coffee, tea, cookies and fruit will be available at break time.
If ticket prices, transportation, or child care expenses are a barrier for you, please contact us in advance for assistance. Limited bursaries are available.
This workshop has reached maximum capacity. We're sorry for any disappointment. Please consider registering for another workshop this spring. We'll be sure to offer this one again soon!
3703 St Aidans St
Victoria, BC V8P 2V7
Google map and directions