Here are the steps for getting involved as a participant in the Community Leadership Development Program:
1. Attend an Information Session (optional but highly recommended).
2. Submit an Application
3. Application Interview (via phone)
4. Complete your Full Registration Package
A 60-minute presentation and Q&A opportunity to find out more about the program. We encourage interested participants to attend a free information session.
Before or after the Information Session, we encourage you to discuss this program with your employer and identify how it fits into your career goals and how it can benefit your employer to have you participate. Most participants have their tuition paid for by employers, although some people make this investment in themselves.
Prepare Your Application
This is where you'll introduce yourself, explain your interest in the program, and share your current and past community and work leadership experiences. We will ask you to upload your resume and have a reference submit an online recommendation for you, indicating your potential as a community leader. There are also some paragraph-style questions for you to complete:
- What kinds of volunteer or community activities are you involved in?
- What does "community leadership" mean to you?
- What do you want to be a part of the Community Leadership Development Program at Leadership Victoria?
- What strengths and experiences in community leadership can you contribute to share with your fellow learners?
- What is your expectation about the time commitments of this program?
Your application needs to include your resume or CV.
We also ask for a letter of reference from somebody who can talk about your readiness and potential as a community leader. This letter should try to answer:
- Who the letter-writer is and how they know you;
- Why the letter-writer thinks you have potential as a community leader;
- What particular strengths you'll bring to the program (which involves peer-to-peer learning and team projects).
Your resume and letter of reference will be uploaded to the application form. It's easiest if they are in PDF format, but Word or Rich Text Format work too. If you are struggling to get your letter of reference into an uploadable format, please contact us for help. We have ways.
Our Recruitment & Selection Team will contact each applicant for a phone interview. The team considers all applications and accepts a group of 20-24 participants who represent the diversity of Greater Victoria, and who will collectively create a positive learning environment for community leadership growth.
Some participants are referred to the program by their employers. Leadership Victoria works with employers who want to have in-house screening/application processes to make sure that the criteria for internal selection are aligned with our overall selection process.
We aim to have all admission decisions completed by July 15.
Complete Full Registration Package
Once you have received notification of your acceptance into the program, there are a few final steps to complete your registration:
Applicants who are selected for the program will submit an Employer Commitment of Support form to indicate that you have the support of your employer, as the program involves missing days of work. If you're self-employed or not currently employed, the Employer Commitment step can be skipped.
We also have a questionnaire covering personal needs for the program, like dietary restrictions and emergency contacts. That will be emailed to you after your acceptance.
Tuition is payable upon your acceptance into the program. Tuition is non-refundable and non-transferable after the program retreat. If you are self-funding and wish to discuss monthly payment options, please contact us.
Thank you for your interest!